Monday, December 11, 2006

Looking for the baby Jesus (under the trash)

So its the lead up to one of the most consumeristic times of the year.

I am begining to detest the sound and sights of our seculer christmas. The idea that its all about the wants of the first person..I want that..thats mine.

It feels like one big competition..who has the best decorated house, the best newest toys...the most expensive gagets. The big companies must love sucking up to parents with this seasons 'must have' plastic fantastic, (batteries not included) hunk of crap.

I hate the talk of parents at this time of the year..especialy working in childcare: The bribery of santa.....even though the kid is smart enough to figure out they will, of course, get the goodies no matter how naughty or nice they have been.

To me it feels like its such a self-absorbed season. It may be just my synical self...but this is not what i belive christmas is, nor should be, about.

The truth is, this time of the year scares me. The people out there who have no way of being about to live up to seasonal expectations, who end up feeling shitty bacause they cant compeat with the Jones' up the road.

As u2 once sang..its like looking for the baby jesus under the trash

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Stephanie Jewell said...

I love reading your blog, Ana! I love looking at the filtered world through your eyes in your thoughts, feelings, views and opinions, offering so much insight and provoking the thoughts of me (and many?) in your everyday writings!

The truth is, this time of the year scares me. The people out there who have no way of being about to live up to seasonal expectations, who end up feeling shitty bacause they cant compeat with the Jones' up the road.

This especially struck me because this is what I secretly felt this Christmas, as did my parents. My stoopid school decded the Grad Ball would be 3 weeks before Christmas. So getting my hair and makeup done for it took a chunk out of the budget which could have made Christmas more enjoyable for my family overall. I already had everything else months before.. But I feel that Christmas wasn't as good as it could have been, and that was because of me (I went through minor depression prior to the ball and Christmas :/ )


Good to hear that you persevered through this terrorizing time of year!

Look forward to reading more posts!
I hope you never change :]

-Steph

1:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home